Monday, March 11, 2013

Author Interview: Jessica Jayne


Welcome Jessica Jayne to Author Fever!


    


Hello Jessica, tell our readers a little bit about yourself.

Jessica Jayne
I am a born and raised small town Ohio girl.  I moved to the Sunshine State after graduating from college so that I could enjoy the beaches and sixty degree winters!  J
 I love to travel and travel often!  I am a huge sports fan, especially college football and the Ohio State Buckeyes!  I am wine-making (and wine-tasting) aficionado.  I love all music and sunsets at the beach!
In this journey of life, I married a wonderful man and had three beautiful (and sometimes crazy) children. 

What do you do when you aren’t writing?

That’s a loaded question.  I have three children six years old and under, so I spend a great deal of time (including some of my writing time) being a mommy!  We play a lot of board games like Candyland or Sorry.  We read a lot of books.  Thankfully, our children are as caught up in storytelling as I am.  We plant and tend to our vegetable garden… the kids plant them from seed, so they love to see them grow.  We go to the beach!  To be honest, being a mom is the best job I’ve ever been given.  It’s exhausting on some days, but always rewarding.
Other than my motherly and wifely duties (and this other thing I call a full-time job), I spend time running and working out.  Nothing relieves stress better than pounding the pavement with some good music on your ipod.  I also enjoy watching movies, hanging with my girlfriends and doing yoga.

What inspired you to start writing?

I started writing when I was child.  I used to write short stories and illustrate them myself.  I will admit… I’m not much of an illustrator. 
When I was a sophomore in high school, I was asked by a teacher to join a senior level creative writing course.  That is when I truly fell in love with fiction writing!  I loved the challenge of creating a believable story and characters.  I loved the idea of being able to evoke emotions and feelings from readers through a story. 

What is your favorite genre to write?

My favorite genre to write (and read) is romance, particularly erotic romance.  As a passionate person, it is fun to create two individuals that go through the ups and downs of a relationship.  We’ve all been there!  We all come with baggage.  But what really matters in life is the memories we make with the people we love, so I love creating stories that are moving and arousing. 

Do you have a set writing schedule, or do you do it when the fancy strikes.

I try to force myself to sit down and write for at least an hour on any given day.  Some days, that may turn into hours of writing.  On other days, that may be an hour and I’m done. 

Do you outline or write as you go (describe your writing process)?

I know this is a highly debated issue.  In the writing courses I’ve taken, it is usually recommended to outline your story and create character profiles.  To be honest, my writing style makes no sense for a lot of people.  It usually starts with the characters and a scene that have been bouncing around in my head.  I sit down and write the scene… then I create the story around it.  Sometimes the original scene changes or evolves with the rest of the story, but it is that scene that started it all.  Of course, I have notebooks with character descriptions, settings and potential scenes, but those do not usually develop fully until I write that first scene.

Do you have a certain vice that helps you write?

A nice glass of wine or a good beer does make writing steamy sex scenes a little easier.  When your inhibition levels are down, anything is possible…literally!

What inspires you?

I’m inspired by life.  I am a sexual assault survivor, so I had a lot of things to work through over the years.  During that process, I’ve met tons of people, who suffered through a variety of ordeals in their lives and have walked out of the darkness stronger and better people.  It is hard not to be inspired by the people around you!

Are the people in your life supportive of your writing?

Very much so.  My husband takes the kids out, so that I can have some quiet time.  When I got my first novella published, he and the kids made a big deal out of it by buying me flowers and making me a celebratory dinner. 
The rest of my family buys my books and is always eager to talk about the characters and storylines.

Is music a part of your writing process?

Very much so.  For instance, my latest WIP involves a Florida cowboy, so I’ve had to dig into my country music playlist to get inspired to write some scenes.

Tell us about your current work in progress.

I just signed a contract with Evernight Publishing for my next book.  It is entitled In Flames.  We are hopeful for a May release, but we have not yet started the editing phase, so it’s hard to say. The book blurb for In Flames is below: 
Gracelyn Riley married a firefighter.  She knew that came with risks.  But she never imagined herself widowed in her early thirties with two children to care for on her own.
As a fireman, Matt Riley was at the scene when his brother, Chad, was killed.  He suffered greatly from survivor’s guilt and depression after the accident.
The last year has been difficult for both Gracelyn and Matt.  They’ve relied on each other to get through the tough times.  With the anniversary of Chad’s death upon them, Gracelyn and Matt once again turn to each other for comfort and support.  They find it in each other’s arms (and bed).  Will their desire for each other consume them?  Can they overcome the guilt and scrutiny to find love again…together?

Where can our readers find more about you? 


Extras:
If you could have one super power, what would it be and why?

To fly.  I’ve been skydiving several times and there is nothing quite like it… the freedom you feel as you soar over everything.  To be able to do that whenever you wanted would be really cool.  But I think I’d only fly in my Batgirl costume because I always fantasized I’d make a good Batgirl!  J

Is the glass half-empty or half-full?

I’m a half-full kind of girl!  And I’m always looking for a place to fill it up.

If money were no option, where would you live?

Italy!  I’m a romance writer and a lover of wine!  Where else could I possibly go?!

What did you want to be when you grew up?

I think I changed my mind on a weekly basis.  A teacher.  An astronaut.  A dancer.  An actress.  A comedienne.  A counselor.  A lawyer.  A doctor.  A vet.  But in the back of my head always a writer!

What is your all-time favorite movie?

All time favorite movie would be Grease, the original.  In college and after, my best friend and I would rent all these horror movies or suspense movies and get all jacked up on adrenaline.  The only thing that would calm us down was a little Danny Zuko, Sandy Olsson and some Grease Lightning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment